Search This Blog

Monday, November 23, 2015

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2

 

 The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2

 

Directed by Francis Lawrence


I know I'm not in the target demographic for the Hunger Game series, but I rather enjoyed the first two installments. The original film set up an interesting world and introduced some compelling characters. The second, Catching Fire, was a very good action film with some great set pieces. Then came the adaptation of the final book, Mockingjay. In an effort to squeeze every dollar possible out of the audience, it was made into two films. Last year, the lukewarm Part 1 was released and I drowsed through it. This year, Part 2 gave me more of the same problems, but actually managed to be worse.

I haven't read the book series (though I did start the first one and I can't imagine ever going back to it to give it a second try) so I'm not sure how Mockingjay is handled in print. Judging by the finished product, there was not nearly enough content to actually justify two films.

I don't think a recap of the film series is necessary. If you're a film fan, even just a casual moviegoer, you're probably somewhat familiar with the basic plot. If not, you're probably not interested in a review of the fourth film.

The allure of the first two films were the actual Hunger Games competitions. They were exciting and tense and even somewhat brutal. By the time Mockinjay rolls around, the games are done and we're left with poorly handled political intrigue. I say 'poorly handled' because I was left not caring one way or the other about the outcome of any of the plot points or the characters' fates. I was just too bored. The writing in any of these films isn't enough to carry them - I enjoyed the first two for the characters (and performances to a degree) and the action - and it especially falters in Part 1 and Part 2.

Even the actors seem bored. The cast is filled with some usually talented and engaging performers. People like Jennifer Lawrence, Woody Harrelson, Donald Sutherland, Julianne Moore, Elizabeth Banks, Jeffrey Wright, Jena Malone, Stanley Tucci, and the late, great Philip Seymour Hoffman. In Mockingjay Part 2 they are either given so little to do (like Harrelson, Wright, Banks, and Tucci) or just turn in subpar performances (Lawrence and Moore). Sutherland is okay in his role as the villainous President Snow, but the character is pretty cliched and predictable. 

Hoffman died during filming and you can tell the filmmakers scrambled to cobble together something afterwards - what they managed looked very out of place and amateurish to me. It reminded me of The Simpsons episode where Milhouse plays Fall Out Boy in the Radioactive Man movie and the producers attempt to use digital effects to complete the film after Milhouse runs away. Obviously, it's not anywhere near that bad in Part 2, but some shots did stand out to me. It's a shame that this will be the last film appearance for Hoffman. He was one of the best and most engaging actors of his generation and his talents will be sorely missed.

There's quite a bit of action in Part 2, but it's all filmed with shaky cam running behind or alongside the characters, which makes everything hard to follow. This further removed me from the film. I get that some directors and viewers like shaky cam, but I can't for the life of me understand why. It has two main effects on me: 1) it makes it so I have difficulty following the action and 2) it constantly reminds me that I'm watching a movie, so I'm taken out of the experience. A great film sucks you in and makes you forget that you're watching something. Shaky cam does the exact opposite. Combined with the fact that I didn't actually care what happened to any of the characters, this added up to a film I couldn't stay interested in. Like during Part 1, I occasionally dosed off, though never for more than a minute or so.

Looking at Francis Lawrence's filmography, it seems like he might have just gotten lucky with Catching Fire. Nothing else suggests he'd be capable of creating a visually interesting or character driven film. He went from directing terrible music videos (for Britney Spears, Jennifer Lopez, and Will Smith) to Constantine, I am Legend, and Water for Elephants before snagging the Hunger Games series. I'd be surprised if he books any more high profile films, but stranger things have happened. 

SPOILERS AHEAD!

The final moments of the film especially bothered me. The writers and filmmakers took this strong, independent female character who fought through all this adversity and turned her into nothing more than a stereotypical girl who only really cares about finding a man and settling down. I realize this is how the books were probably written, so I should really blame the author, but the filmmakers had a chance to change things and chose not to. They are just as much to blame.

SPOILERS CONCLUDED!

I cannot recommend spending your time or money on Mockingjay Part 2 to anyone, not even people who have seen the rest of the series. If you liked the rest, you'll probably like this one, I guess. If you're like me and Part 1 disappointed you, stay away. Maybe watch it at home when it's released, if you're a completest and just have to see how the story wraps up.

For anyone new to the series (why are you reading reviews like this?), I'd suggest not even starting it. Overall, the four films average out to nothing more than slightly above average and there are too many much better films out there to be seen. 


5 comments:

  1. Just saw the movie yesterday and although I wanna say I liked it (at least better than part 1), I was still left feeling a little disappointed. Something just felt... off it's hard to pinpoint. I also agree that splitting the last book into two movies was a bad idea and was probably just a money grab.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have not seen mockingjay part 2. I wanted to but now you have bummed me. I agree with you and Drew that putting the book into 2 was just stupid. I still will pry see it to finish it because even if a movie is bad, I need to funis it but still has to be better than twilight. I could barely get through the first movie and I quit. I couldn't even finish that story and that says something. Great review Clint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm positive they're better than the Twilight films - I only made it 30 minutes into the first one of those!

      When you get around to seeing this one, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Maybe you'll like it!

      Thanks for reading, Nikki!

      Delete
  3. Finish * stupid phone and I just need to learn to edit before I hit the button

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both the book and the movie for Mockingjay bothered me for the same reason: Colins turned it into a stupid love story, completely erasing all the bad assery ahe had put into Katnis. She was strong and never looking for any sort of man to settle down with. She actually says it many times. But then in Mockingjay it's all about who will Katnis pick?! It should be about her going after Snow, and to a point, it is but then the action is interrupted by Peeta and Gale going back and forth on who gets her when it's all over.

    ReplyDelete