Search This Blog

Friday, December 18, 2015

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

 

Star Wars: The Force Awakens 

Directed by J.J. Abrams


At this point, there are already thousands of reviews available for Star Wars: The Force Awakens and the online community doesn't really need anymore. Of course, that's not going to stop me...

The original Star Wars trilogy has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Having an older brother who loved it as a kid certainly helped - he had the action figures and we used to watch the films on our trusty VHS tapes quite often in my formative years - but I've kept up with the series well into my adulthood, as well. I remember quite clearly the hype that built up in 1999 when The Phantom Menace was set to debut. You couldn't look anywhere without seeing merchandise or commercials or product tie-ins. It was a glorious time to be a Star Wars fan. And then the movie came out and was terrible. The next two films in the prequel trilogy were better, but not by much and they were not anywhere near as good as the original, classic films.

Sixteen and a half years after The Phantom Menace hit theaters and disappointed millions of fans, The Force Awakens has hit the scene and the buzz surrounding it is every bit as loud and pervasive as it was in 1999. This time, however, the film is actually good - very good, in fact.

I've already read complaints that The Force Awakens borrows too heavily from the plot of the original Star Wars film. I noticed this while watching it, but it didn't really bother me. The aspects that are similar are really only the frame work, the bare bones of the story. It makes things seem a little familiar, but new at the same time.

A lot of the promotional aspect of the film has been the return of classic characters like Han Solo, Princess Leia, and Luke Skywalker. Harrison Ford as Han Solo might be the MVP of the film, but I can't tell if that's just my overall love of Mr. Ford and Solo shining through or not. It was a joy to see his character return and once again pilot his iconic Millennium Falcon through another adventure. Ford imbues Solo with all of his years of experience, with his weathered face and growly voice. The result is a slightly more mature and responsible Han Solo, but that's not to say he's lost his edge - he still makes wisecracks and jumps into action when needed. The moments with these beloved characters are great, but they're not the only reason to go see the new film.

I was actually quite impressed by most of the new characters and actors that make up the bulk of The Force Awakens. John Boyega as Finn, the troubled Stormtrooper who goes AWOL and sets the film into motion, was charming, funny, and emotional. Daisy Ridley as Rey, a scavenger who finds a droid with important information, was every bit as good as Boyega and they had a great chemistry together. Adam Driver takes on the villainous role of Kylo Ren, a Dark Side master with some internal conflicts of his own. Driver wasn't great, but he was solid and never distracted from the plot. The immensely talented Oscar Isaac plays a Resistance pilot by the name of Poe and didn't have a whole lot to do in the film, but I look forward to seeing more of him (and everyone else) in the final two films of this new trilogy.

I've never been blown away by any J.J. Abrams' films, but he has shown some talent for creating exciting and emotional action films in the past. With The Force Awakens, he delivers an incredibly entertaining and beautiful film. Gone (for the most part) are his trademark lens flares and overuse of shaky cam, two aspects of his films that always bothered me.

The screenplay, written by Star Wars veteran Lawrence Kasdan and Abrams, isn't going to win any awards, but it is solid. The cringe worthy dialogue of the prequels (and, at times, of the original trilogy) has been mostly eliminated and the characters are believable and convincing. Plus, similarities to the first film aside, the plot is interesting and exciting.

The Force Awakens isn't a perfect film by any stretch of the imagination, but I do think it's a very worthy addition to the Star Wars franchise. I will reserve the right to change my opinion after I see the film another time or two, but as of right now I think The Force Awakens is right up there with the original Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. Maybe a notch behind those two classic films, but certainly ahead of Return of the Jedi and miles better than any of the prequels.

One last note, I'd encourage everyone who is interested to see this film with a large crowd. The experience I had last night in a sold out auditorium was great - people laughed and cheered and applauded. Usually, I try to avoid crowds, but I'm happy I didn't in this case.  

No comments:

Post a Comment