Search This Blog

Monday, September 4, 2017

My Favorites of the Decade - the 1950's

Along with Kyle at Enter the Movies, I'm going to be doing a series of lists highlighting my favorite films from each decade interspersed with various other lists. I'm hoping this series will allow me to feature some films that I haven't had the opportunity to discuss yet, but I'm sure a lot of them will have been mentioned in my Top 50 series or in other lists I've already published.

To start it out, here are my Top 10 Favorite Films of the 1950's, in alphabetical order:




Year: 1957
Director: Sidney Lumet

12 Angry Men has been one of my favorite films since I first saw it in high school, during my speech class. I think it's a perfect mix of drama, suspense, and humor. The cast - anchored by Henry Fonda, Lee J. Cobb, and E.G. Marshall -  may be one of the best ensembles in film history. Lumet, who is becoming one of my most beloved filmmakers, shot out of the gate with this, his first feature film, and shows masterful control in such a constrained space. There's not a wasted frame within the 90 minute run time, which goes to show just how strong the screenplay and editing work was. Each and every moment enhances the characters, furthers the plot, or adds to the atmosphere. 12 Angry Men may very well be a perfect film. 



Year: 1951
Director: Billy Wilder

You wouldn't know it from the terrible looking poster above - seriously, this is the best one I could find and it certainly wouldn't have enticed me to watch the film - but Ace in the Hole is an excellent film. I'd classify it as a dark comedy/drama and it features probably my favorite performance from the iconic Kirk Douglas as a newspaper reporter who goes to great lengths, including making several immoral decisions, to keep a story evolving and to further his career. Billy Wilder, a director whom I more respect than admire, has never been better. He manages to make a darkly funny morality play which resonates more now than ever and straddles the line between "laugh out loud funny" and "deathly serious". 




Year: 1959
Director: Otto Preminger

I've long been a fan of courtroom dramas and Anatomy of a Murder is quite possibly the best of the genre. The film was terribly controversial upon its release - mostly for its frank discussion of rape and other "bad" language - and is still somewhat jarring when viewed today. I watched it a few years ago without knowing about its reputation and was surprised by the content of the more than 50-year-old film. James Stewart is mesmerizing in the lead role, but his supporting cast is almost as good. One notable cast member is left off the poster: George C. Scott, who had only appeared in one film prior to Anatomy of a Murder, had a juicy role as the attorney opposing James Stewart. He received a Best Supporting Actor Academy Award nomination and practically stole each and every scene he was in from his more seasoned co-stars. If you like courtroom dramas, I'd highly recommend giving this one a shot - you're not going to be disappointed. 




Year: 1952
Director: Vincente Minnelli

I generally enjoy movies about the movie business and The Bad and the Beautiful is no exception. Even though it "borrows" a lot of things from Citizen Kane and veers into melodrama a couple of times, The Bad and the Beautiful is a fun, entertaining, and skillfully made film. It won five Academy Awards - and holds the distinction of winning the most awards without a Best Picture nomination - but I had never heard of it until listening to an interview with Martin Scorsese where he mentioned it as an influence on him. Kirk Douglas is superb as a ruthless and conniving movie producer who manipulates people around him in order to achieve success. I think the film provides a very interesting peek into the movie business of "classic" Hollywood. It's something I've wanted to rewatch for a while and now I have even more interest in revisiting it. 




Year: 1958
Director: Richard Brooks

I was in a bit of a Paul Newman phase recently and watched as many of his films as I could find and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof was easily the best of the bunch. The writing, acting, cinematography, and production design (especially the costumes and sets) are all top notch. Check out my full-length review for more of my thoughts! 




Year: 1952
Director: Fred Zinneman

High Noon isn't just one of my favorite films of the 1950's, but one of My Favorite Westerns and in the running to make my Top 100. I wrote a full-length review last year that goes into detail about everything I loved about the film. Other than some really shoddy music, I can't think of any real flaws - High Noon is just a great film and deserves its classic reputation. 




Year: 1959
Director: Alfred Hitchcock

The Master of Suspense's most fun movie is a twisty-turny adventure romp that doesn't always make sense - it's the kind of film that doesn't stand up to a whole lot of close examination - but is always entertaining. Cary Grant is his usual suave self and he has fantastic chemistry with the beautiful Eva Marie Saint. Their back and forth repartee is one of my favorite aspects of the movie. Of course, the action set pieces are wonderful, too - especially the iconic crop duster and Mount Rushmore scenes. North by Northwest isn't even my first or second favorite Hitchcock, which just goes to show you how talented the man was. 



Year: 1957
Director: Stanley Kubrick

The first of what will be several Kubrick films in this series, Paths of Glory is a film that I love a tiny bit more with each viewing. It's the tense, suspenseful, and ultimately heartbreaking story of a platoon of soldiers in WWI France and how high-ranking officers use capital punishment as a way to "motivate" their troops. Kirk Douglas stars and delivers another powerhouse performance, but he's also surrounded by a great supporting cast - George Macready, Ralph Meeker, Joe Turkel, and Timothy Carey are all highly memorable and impressive in their various roles. The black and white cinematography, music, editing, and production design are all first-rate. A lot of people consider Paths of Glory Kubrick's first masterpiece and I can't entirely disagree.




Year: 1954
Director: Alfred Hitchcock

Rear Window is a nearly perfect film. James Stewart and Grace Kelly are flawless and have excellent chemistry together. Thelma Ritter adds a nice bit of comedic relief and Raymond Burr makes for a great villain, in the small role he has. Hitchcock's direction has never been better as he creates a sense of tension, suspense, and dread just from looking out an apartment window. Even with such a limited scope, Rear Window manages to be more exciting than most action movies and the credit should go not only to Hitch but to his screenwriter, John Michael Hayes. The wonderful score from Franz Waxman compliments everything nicely. Like the best of films, Rear Window is enjoyable no matter if you're seeing it for the first or fiftieth time.




Year: 1952
Director: Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly

Musicals are easily my least favorite genre, but every once in a while I come across one that I really love. Singin' in the Rain was one of those times - it's just a tremendous film in nearly every way, from the musical numbers to the acting to all the technical aspects. You can read my full-length review for my in-depth thoughts.  



Well, there you have it! Do you love any of these movies? Hate any? Did I miss any of your favorites from the 50's? Let me know in the comments!

Up next, my list of Favorite Movie Speeches!



No comments:

Post a Comment