Search This Blog

Friday, November 4, 2022

2022 October Challenge

The 7th annual October Challenge was once again started in late September (as is now tradition) and was moderately successful. There weren't as many God-awful level movies, but it's not like I watched too many masterpieces, either. My average rating was still a sub-5/10, but when dealing with the horror genre, a 5/10 (a middle-of-the-road, average score) isn't bad.


The highlights of the month, from best to worst:



The Worst of the Worst


* Ideally, this isn't what you want in your front yard. *

The Long Night (2022) - 1/10    Some Octobers have had multiple 1's for me, but this year, this debacle was the only flick to score the lowest of the low rating. The cinematography was good and the costume design was interesting, but everything else was so tremendously stupid and poorly done that even those nice qualities weren't enough to warrant a 2 or 2.5/10. Scout Taylor-Compton, the once promising star of Rob Zombie's Halloween movies, is simply dreadul here, but with the script she had, I don't know if I can completely blame her.



* I tried to find a good image of the monster... *

The Relic (1997) - 2/10    I have a soft spot for Tom Sizemore and his co-starring role here is one of the few redeeming qualities. He's not exactly good in the cliched cop part, but something about him has always appealed to me. The story, dialogue, and characters are all bare bones and, at times, downright silly. In addition to all that, the creature design and special effects are laughingly bad. Unless you're a Sizemore completist, don't bother with this one.



* One of the more exciting scenes. And that should really tell you something. *

They Look Like People (2015) - 2/10    I've got nothing against a good slow-burn horror movie, but when the burn is more like a singe and never amounts to anything, it makes for a long watch no matter what the actual runtime is. The two lead actors here do an okay job and the story itself was intriguing, up to a point, but there's just nothing really here.



* So. Much. Disco. Music. *

Prom Night (1980) - 2/10    Since this is one of the supposed "classics" of 80's horror, I had somewhat high hopes going into this viewing. It didn't take long for those hopes to be dashed. Jamie Lee Curtis is fine, but unremkable in the lead role and less than a month later I've pretty much forgotten all the details. I don't think I'll ever forget the sheer amount of disco music, though. That was the real horror of the movie. No one, and I mean no one, should be exposed to disco music in any shape or form.



* Watch out! Knock-off Baghead Jason is after you! *

Triangle (2009) - 2.5/10    This one came highly recommended by people online and I can kind of get what people might like about it - it's one of those "mind fuck" movies that are supposed to be so twisty and turny that you never know what's coming next. Unfortunately, most of those movies don't hold up to even the tiniest amount of critical thinking and Triangle is no exception. There are some interesting moments and even one pretty surprising reveal, but I would never recommend it to anyone looking for a good movie.


A Step Up, But Still Not Good


* The "Entity" is legitimately creepy in all it's forms. *

It Follows (2014) - 4.5/10    I still don't like this as much as most people seem to, but my rating did go up slightly with this rewatch. While the concept is very interesting and most of the performances are solid, the writing lets this one down more often than not. It also has a very disappointing climax, in my opinion.


* Time for a family meeting. *

A Quiet Place Part 2 (2020)    4/10 If you really liked the first part, you'll probably like this one, too. It's more of the same and maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it.


* Art the Clown is back and bloodier than ever. *

Terrifier 2 (2022) - 4/10    I think this was pretty much just an excuse for showing as much gore as humanly possible. In that regard, it was a massive success. It's one of the bloodiest, most disgusting films I've seen. But it doesn't really work as a movie. First off, it's way too long. A slasher like this should be 90 or 100 minutes, at the very most. Terrifier 2 clocks in at a terrifying 138 minutes. Second, part of the appeal of the original movie was how playful and funny Art the Clown was. In this one, most of that "charm" was stripped from him. The special effects are tremendous in the grindhouse kind of way they're going for and the lead actress - Lauren LaVera, who is shockingly 44 years old but easily passes as early 20's - was solid. I know most movies get released with an extended edition or bonus scenes added back in, but what this one needs is a trimmed down version. That could be really good.


Worth Watching Once



* A beautiful setting for a terrible crime. *

Coming Home in the Dark (2021) - 5/10    The Australian outback is one of those places I sometimes daydream about visiting, but then I remember the heat and the dangerous animals and the fact that I don't really like being outside anywhere. And then I watch a movie like this and I'm even more putoff by the idea. The "family kidnapped by dangerous criminals" trope isn't anything new, but this under the radar flick does some interesting things with the idea. In the end, there's not enough here to exuberantly recommend, but it's a solid movie and you could do way worse with your time.



* We all told you not to go down in the basement... *

Barbarian (2022) - 5.5/10    Barbarian is pretty much split into three chunks that all mesh together to create a unique and compelling movie. The first third is terrific, but the rest is just okay. There are moments of absolute dread, startling jump scares, laugh-out-loud jokes, and disgusting body horror. Like I said, it's very unique and was a fun watch throughout. I've heard people say it improves with multiple viewings and I could see that being the case. I guess only time will tell.



* "Now, you're probably gonna get the comment 'OK, Boomer' a lot, but... *

Mr. Harrigan's Phone (2022) - 6/10    I enjoyed Stephen King's short story when I read it a year or two ago and the Netflix adaptation is predictably solid. It makes for very light horror and might be the kind of thing a parent could use to introduce their pre-teens to the genre. The young lead actor is servicable and Donald Sutherland is fantastic in his smaller, titular role. I'm not exactly raving about it, but it's a somewhat perfect example of a middle of the road, once and done flick. I can't imagine I'll ever revisit this or probably even think about it after finishing this piece, but it was an enjoyable couple of hours.




* You really don't want to get a notification from this app. *

Countdown (2019) - 6.5/10    Countdown is very similar in quality to Mr. Harrigan's Phone and is another example I definitely don't regret watching, but can't see myself needing to rewatch it. There are some great kills and decent performances, plus a surprisingly well thought out climax. No real complaints here!



* Before the shit hits the fan. *

Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum (2018) - 6.5/10    Normally, I'm not much of a fan of the found-footage genre, but this spooky Korean flick was pretty good. The basic conceit - a paranormal online show visits an abandoned asylum - isn't anything groundbreaking, but there are some decent twists and turns and the cast works well with each other. I would have preferred more character development, but that's pretty much my one huge complaint. As is, only a couple of the characters stood out from the group, so it was difficult to get attached to anyone. The production design is first rate, though. The details spread throughout the asylum makes it seem so real and that really adds to the overall level of dread.



Very Good and Highly Recommended



* Just this picture makes me feel a bit queasy. *

Fall (2022) - 7/10    Fall's basic concept - a pair of climbers stranded atop a huge tower - made it so neither my wife or son would watch it with me. So that's how I ended up alone at the movie theater in late September. There were only two other people in the auditorium, so I felt the isolation a bit like the characters in the movie. I have a fear of heights myself, but can watch them onscreen unlike my family members. The effect was felt almost immediately on my body - I was queasy, tense, and nervous pretty much the whole time. I don't think you'd want to think too hard about some of the plot details or logistics of the character's plan, but as an immersive experience, Fall works really well.



* A pleasant start to a Zoom call... *

Host (2020) - 7.5/10    This short (only 57 minutes) film shows how effective a movie can be regardless of it's running time. Host sets up interesting characters, establishes a relatable setting, sprinkles in funny moments, and manages to absolutely terrify you, all in such a compact package. Plus, it does all this without expensive effects or a famous cast. It really is a fun, memorable little movie and I'm happy something positive came out of the whole Covid-19 pandemic.



* Bath time! *

Jacob's Ladder (1990) - 7.5/10    I first saw this twisty, disturbing flick probably 25 years ago. It didn't really click with me then, but I'm really happy I gave it another chance all these years later. It's definitely horror-lite with only a few scenes/moments that really scream "horror" to me, but it does something the best films of the genre do - it creates an atmosphere of tension and dread. Tim Robbins is terrific and the supporting cast plays perfectly off of him. The ending ranks amongst the best will definitely leave you thinking, something rare in movies in general and in horror even more so. Definitely check this one out!



* I would do anything for my Jackson, too. Well... maybe not anything... *

Anything for Jackson (2020) - 7.5/10    A Shudder exclusive I had never heard of previously, Anything for Jackson was the most pleasantly surprising movie I watched all month long. Since I didn't know anything about it, I had no preconceived notions and that generally helps a movie succeed. This movie has a lot going for it - including an interesting story, excellent production values, and some legitimately creepy/scary moments - but the best aspect is easily the pair of lead performances from Sheila McCarthy and Julian Richings as the bereaved grandparents of the titular Jackson. What they're willing to do for their beloved grandson is shocking, but can we blame them? If the movie had a better ending, it probably would have been a contender for the "Best of the Best" award.


* Jamie Lee's ready to take on all the Halloween Ends haters. *

Halloween Ends (2022) - 8/10    I know I'm in the small minority with this opinion, but I think Halloween Ends is one of the best of the series. The reason so many people hated it - the very small amount of time Michael Meyers is on screen - is one of the things I loved about the movie. We've seen Michael so many times at this point and it's hard to do anything new with him. Here, the evil spirit that inhabits the serial killer also blankets the town of Haddonfield and infects others with its darkness and hate. That concept is interesting and refreshing, but it's not all I liked about the movie. It excells with some shocking kills - the blowtorch scene and radio DJ death are some of the best of the series - and the characters are, for the most part at least, well written and well acted. I absolutely hated Halloween Kills, so my expectations were quite low for this one. Maybe I won't like it so much on rewatch, but for now, it earned this spot.



The Best of the Best



* A little midnight snack. *

Raw (2016) - 9/10    This is one of those movies that's been on my Netflix watch list for ages - probably since it first was added on the service back in 2017 or 2018 - and now I'm kicking myself for not watching it sooner. The French really know how to make a great horror movie! Raw features wonderful performances and interesting characters across the board and these aspects help elevate everything else up a notch or two. The plot is engaging and the make-up/special effects are first rate. Like most of my favorite horror movies, Raw uses tension and atmosphere to create a disturbing environment and isn't loaded up with jump scares or overdramatic music cues. Plus, what an ending! Writer/director Julia Ducournau wowed me earlier this year with Titane and now again here, so she's two for two with her two feature films. Whatever she comes up with next, I'll definitely watch it right away.


Special Mention


* They had to one-up the old Bravo countdown from 2004 *

The 101 Scariest Horror Movie Moments of All-Time (2022) - 8/10    As soon as I read that Shudder was releasing this special countdown, I knew I'd have to make time for it. Bravo did a very similar list in 2004 and it has since held a special place in my memory. My wife and I rewatched that on YouTube not too long ago and then, almost immediately after, I read about this special. It's full of different people - actors, directors, writers, historians, etc - from inside the horror industry gushing about their favorite scary moments. The 101 entries are all pretty standard choices from well known movies, but I still got a few new recommendations out of it. Plus, it's just fun to see the clips and hear all these passionate people discussing the impact the movies/moments had on them. The special has eight episodes and each episode is about 45 minutes long, so there's a good amount of content here. Perfect for any horror lover.



2nd Annual October Challenge Awards:


Best Movie - Raw

Worst Movie - The Long Night

Best Director - Julia Ducournau for Raw

Best Actor - Julian Richings in Anything for Jackson

Worst Actor - Joe Keery in Spree

Best Actress - Garance Marillier in Raw

Worst Actress - Scout Taylor-Compton in The Long Night

Best Supporting Actor - Donald Sutherland in Mr. Harrigan's Phone

Best Supporting Actress - Miriama McDowell in Coming Home in the Dark (very limited decent options for this category this year)
 
Best Kill - Barbarian - the first kill inside the tunnel (bonus points for shocking, sudden nature)

Best Special Effects/Makeup - Terrifier 2 (bonus points for the simple quantity of effects)

Worst Special Effects/Makeup - The Relic




Full list of what I watched during the month, in chronological order:

* = rewatch

* It Follows (2014) - 4.5/10
Ruin Me (2017) - 3/10
Fall (2022) - 7/10
The Relic (1997) - 2/10
* Hell Fest (2018) - 7/10
Motherly (2021) - 2/10
Spree (2020) - 3/10
A Quiet Place Part 2 (2020) - 4/10
The Slumber Party Massacre (1982) - 3.5/10
Host (2020) - 7.5/10
They Look Like People (2015) - 2/10
* Jacob's Ladder (1990) - 7.5/10
Countdown (2019) - 6.5/10
The Long Night (2022) - 1/10
Anything for Jackson (2020) - 7.5/10
The Rental (2020) - 2.5/10
Don't Look Now (1973) - 3/10
Smile (2022) - 3.5/10
* A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - 7.5/10
Till Death (2021) - 2.5/10
Prom Night (1980) - 2/10
Coming Home in the Dark (2021) - 5/10
Halloween Ends (2022) - 8/10
Horror Noire (2021) - 2.5/10
Umma (2022) - 4/10
Triangle (2009) - 2.5/10
Mr. Harrigan's Phone (2022) - 6/10
* Scream (1996) - 7.5/10
Barbarian (2022) - 5.5/10
The 101 Scariest Horror Movie Moments of All Time (2022) - 8/10
Tragedy Girls (2017) - 2.5/10
* The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) - 7.5/10
* Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994) - 6/10
Raw (2016) - 9/10
Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum (2018) - 6.5/10
Terrifier 2 (2022) - 4/10


Average rating of the 36 titles: 4.79/10 --- slightly better than last year!



Did any of you watch any good horror movies recently? Any that you'd recommend? I'm always on the lookout for new movies to watch!



Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment